Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Husband's Gift

I feel like I don't know my babies; like they aren't really mine.  I love them, obviously, but every time that I hold one or both of them, I feel like I'm holding someone else's child.  It has been, by far, my greatest source of heartache.  

When I came home from work today, my husband had a wonderful surprise waiting for me - one that spoke to the very center of my heart.  He came upstairs and laid three pictures down in front of me; he had gone through my old baby pictures and carefully chosen three poignant photographs.  He then said something I will never forget.  "If you ever doubt that these are your children, look at their smiles.  They each have very different smiles, but they are all your smile." 

 He held up picture number one and simply said, "Taryn." 


 "Teagan."






"Tristan."


These are my children.  MY children - no one else's.  Any reminder that I will ever need can be found in their smiles.  I hope, someday soon, they'll be able to see their mommy smile, too. 

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift from your husband. I obviously have no idea what you're going through, but I want you to know that you're in my thoughts and that I'm supporting you from afar. I wish I could help in some way, but just know that I'm praying for your happiness. You deserve all the joy in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They most certainly are your children, and they are beautiful. What a wonderful gift from your husband to show you your smile in each of theirs. Know that I'm thinking of you, and I'm always here if you need a friend to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry. You are an incredible mother and I often think "What would Jen do" when I run into snags. Soon you'll find your smile again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a wonderful husband. Those pictures are gorgeous, and all of your children most definitely do have your smile.

    ReplyDelete